Thursday, July 18, 2013

College Difficulties


  • What issues do you face that make thriving in college difficult for you? What strategies do you have for dealing these issues?


I am an adult learner who return to school after 10 years working in  China, I face many difficulties in American, which is a new cultural country for me, I face many challenges from family, society, personal, etc. Here I am going to talk about two----culture difference and personal issue.

Culture Differences

Problem: The United States is often called a melting pot, mixing people from cultures all around the world. Still, American culture is distinctive, and it is different from my own in some area, we think or do something in different way. So, sometimes, I might misunderstand what the other says or understand it in other way.


Solution: Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Try your best to learn American culture and adjust yourself to adapt to the new culture and environment. English is my second language, I meant I am not good at speaking and listening in English. In class, to make sure I got the main points of what the teacher said, I would like to ask my classmate orally or in witting when it is needed. When I do homework at home, I might share the significance to my family or friends so they can understand what I am going through and got some support from them.

Personal Issues

 Problem:  With heightened levels of stress and lack of sleep, health problems can occur. I am an immigrant, I usually need to spend double time to do my homework because I don’t trust myself and I want to get good grade; in addition, I have to take care of my family, my son is young and so sticky to me. Most of time, I can’t have enough sleep , I might dream about my homework all whole night, therefore, I feel tired, sleepy ,headache or sick in the following day.


Solution:  I make schedule for my study and work.  I usually do my home when my son is at school or at late night after my son goes to sleep. And the next day, when I feel really tired or headache, I will take a nap, it works. Sometimes I might go walking in a park for relaxing or I might chat with friends for getting spiritual support and inspiration. I have an eternal heart, I always talk to myself: I can’t give up getting education.

No comments:

Post a Comment